Saturday, December 4, 2010

bus rides are my life?

I don't know why it is I can only seem to be motivated to blog when I'm on a megabus. Once again i'm en route from Boston to NYC after a singing gig with a dance company out there. I'm actually almost home (at 2am. Yippee!) I should've blogged on the way TO Boston because that ride was a lot more eventful. And by eventful I mean harrowing. Oh that's right... I COULDN'T blog on that trip because for one, the internet on the bus was down. I know what all of you born pre-1975 are saying.... "oh you poor thing... having to ride a bus without the internet?? How could you possibly survive?" And to you I say.... I know, right?? Seriously though, it was an annoyance since I dragged my computer on this trip solely for the purpose of hoping to get work done on the long bus rides. (And by work we know I mean update facebook every 14 minutes and click on various unneccessary links for 4 hours. But hey, I worked on my resume a little bit and stuff so- work actually did happen on this trip back!) Back to the nightmare that was my trip up... so here I was, sans internet/computer... having to do everything through my iPhone (PROPS to my iPhone by the way. What would I do without it?) Eventually it decided it wanted me to rip some of my hair out so the touch screen decided to go wonky on me and stop working properly. I ended accidentally deleting an important email while simultaneously sending a nonsensical one to the wrong address. I have no idea how that was even possible, but it happened. After a reboot the phone started working normally again (thankfully.) All was ok, until the woman seated behind me started getting more phone calls than TSA's complaint department. It was made all the more annoying by the fact that she was speaking in French, and was clearly either hard of hearing or Linklater trained judging by the intense volume of her voice. When we were SUPPOSED to be an hour away from Boston, we got stuck in dead-stop traffic. We sat there on the highway for an hour without moving. When we finally started again I figured okay we'll be a bit behind... but BOY was I wrong. I looked up to see we were only by Hartford! So a 4 hour bus ride was really actually going to take 6 hours. The icing on the cake though, was the man sitting next to me. This man decided hey, I'm on a 4 hour bus, might as well sleep. Not a bad plan right? WRONG for this man. This man was a snorer. And I don't mean a bit of heavy breathing here and there. I'm talking he must have had a dying hampster lodged in his throat and vuvuzela's implanted in each nostril because I have never ever heard such LOUD and irritating noises coming out of a human being. And this continued on... getting louder and louder for the most part... for 3 hours. THREE HOURS. Let me tell you something- there is not much I can think of that is more irritating than the grating sound of a loud and obnoxious snore going on for 3 hours. After the 3 hour mark I could feel myself starting to really panic. The thing about me is, I'm pretty darn passive. I will bubble up with all of the anger/annoyance in the world but I will keep that all to myself and suffer in silence. I tried shoving his foot with mine a couple times, to no avail. But it was really starting to break me. I was like, near panic at some points. Seriously, I had to take half a valium it was that bad! I had my ipod on and BLASTING in my ears, and still I could hear him. The rest of the bus could too, and we all joked about it a couple times. I even tried blasting my music out loud for the bus to hear in hopes that he'd wake up, but nothing. Eventually I called my mom and was complaining to her. My mom is the kind of woman who has NO problem waking up a total stranger and telling him to stop the damn snoring. She kept yelling at ME to just wake him up. Finally, after having her scream "DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT" in my ear over and over, I threw the phone onto the empty seat next to me, sucked up all of my courage and grabbed the man to wake him up. "Scuse me sir... I'm so sorry but... you've been snoring..." (Oh LORDDD was that awkward for me.) His response was "hey don't call me sir, i'm not that old!" but he did wake up and grab a book. Ahhhh success. I can't put the relief I felt into words (Although that was probably partly valium-induced too.) The rest of the ride was okay, except he eventually fell back asleep with the book open. Typical.
This ride home has been smooth and awesome. There are about 10 of us on this double decker bus. Only 2 other people on the first floor with me. I have a whole table to myself, my beloved internet, and we've cruised the whole time. I feel like i'm on a private jet, lol. Regardless, I think i'm staying away from long road trips for a while. I've been doing a LOT of them, and I feel like I just need to be home for a bit.
Oh by the way on an unrelated note- I turned 27 two weeks ago. It definitely does feel different than 26. It's been... a pretty emotionally heavy 2 weeks so I haven't been able to just sit back and "enjoy 27" just yet... but hopefully soon. I have big plans for 2011, I just haven't figured them out yet. I'll get back to you on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment